Our Theoretical Foundations
PRECEDE/PROCEED Logic Model
What should I know about the PRECEDE/PROCEED logic model?
The PRECEDE/PROCEED model is a planning tool. It suggests that effective intervention design has 8 phases1:
- Social diagnosis
- Epidemiological, behavioral, and environmental diagnosis
- Educational and ecological diagnosis
- Administrative and policy diagnosis
- Process evaluation
- Impact evaluation
- Outcome evaluation
The model assumes that a participatory approach to intervention planning is necessary for success.1
How does the PRECEDE/PROCEED logic model show up in our work?
The PRECEDE/PROCEED logic model has taught us that behavior-change interventions should be designed in a systematic way. We use the PRECEDE/PROCEED logic model to map out our approach at the beginning of many of our projects. Having a sound planning framework helps us design rigorous health-promotion interventions that are linked to clear, measurable outcomes.
Where can I learn more about the PRECEDE/PROCEED logic model?
Click here or watch the video below to learn more about logic models.
Works Cited and Works Consulted
- Social and behavioral theories: summary. e-Source Behavior and Social Sciences Research website. http://www.esourceresearch.org/Default.aspx?TabId=749. Accessed July 1, 2016
- Gielen AC, McDonald EM, Gary TL, Bone LR. Using the PRECEDE/PROCEED model to apply health behavior theories. In: Glanz K, Rimer BK, Viswanath K, eds. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 4th ed. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 2008:407-433. http://fhc.sums.ac.ir/files/salamat/health_education.pdf. Accessed July 1, 2016.
- Logic models in public health [video]. Spokane and Tacoma, WA: Public Health Centers for Excellence; March 3, 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHEp0gJRTwI. Accessed July 1, 2016.
- Section 2: PRECEDE/PROCEED. Community Tool Box website. http://ctb.ku.edu/en/table-contents/overview/other-models-promoting-community-health-and-development/preceder-proceder/main. Accessed July 1, 2016.