Our Theoretical Foundations
Transtheoretical Model of Change
What should I know about the transtheoretical model of change?
The transtheoretical model of change states that behavior change happens in the following stages1:
How does the transtheoretical model of change show up in our work?
We use the transtheoretical model of change to:
- Understand whether a particular audience is ready to attempt a particular change in behavior
- Segment customers into groups based on the stage of change
- Help us understand how to tailor our health-promotion interventions according to our customers’ stage of change
Where can I learn more about the transtheoretical model of change?
Click here or watch the video below to learn more.
Works Cited and Works Consulted
- Social and behavioral theories: important theories and their key constructs. e-Source Behavior and Social Sciences Research website. http://www.esourceresearch.org/Default.aspx?TabId=732. Accessed July 1, 2016.
- Guess W. Improve your life using the stages of change (transtheoretical) model – Dr Wendy Guess [video]. November 4, 2015. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Twlow2pXsv0. Accessed July 1, 2016.
- Prochaska JO, Redding CA, Evers KE. The transtheoretical model and stages of change. In: Glanz K, Rimer BK, Viswanath K, eds. Health Behavior and Health Education: Theory, Research, and Practice. 4th ed. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass; 2008:97‑122. http://fhc.sums.ac.ir/files/salamat/health_education.pdf. Accessed July 1, 2016.